Prof. S.P. Thyagarajan
Ph.D, M.D, D.Sc, FAMS, FNASc, FIMSA,
FABMS, FFTM (Glasgow, UK)
Prof. S.P. Thyagarajan, the Former Vice Chancellor of Madras University,
Professor of Eminence & Dean (Research), Sri Ramachandra University,
Assumed charge as Chancellor of Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science
and Higher Education for Women (Deemed to be University) on the forenoon of 10.12.2020.
Prof. S. P. Thyagarajan is a D.Sc. in Microbiology in addition to his Ph.D. and M.D.
Degrees. He has also been conferred with several Fellowship titles including those by National
Academy of Sciences and National Academy of Medical Sciences. He has put in 51 years of teaching and
research experience in Tamil Nadu Medical Colleges, University of Madras and Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research
(Deemed to be University). He has completed 60 Research projects funded by National and International
funding agencies with grants over INR 50 crores to the institutions where he has served. He has published
347 research papers and 20 books in the areas of infectious and non-communicable diseases like Hepatitis,
HIV, H1N1, COVID-19 and Diabetes/Life style diseases, besides Drug-discovery projects. He has guided 32 Ph.D. and 12 Post Doctoral Research.
He serves as Chairman/Member of Government of India Expert Committees of UGC,
ICMR, DST, DBT, BIRAC, DRDO,MOES,WHO and NAAC Peer Teams. He is also in
various Expert Committees of Government of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh,
Rajasthan and West Bengal. He was instrumental in developing several UGC Regulations
for Multi-centric Research projects of National funding agencies and National Programs
of MHRD, Government of India including RUSA for the State Universities and Colleges.
- Prof. S.P.Thyagarajan invented a drug for the treatment of Chronic jaundice, called Hepatitis-B from the Indian medicinal plant, Phyllanthus amarus, [Kizhanelli in Tamil]. This invention was accorded with National/ International Patent on the name of University of Madras and the patents have already been in USA, UK, South Africa and North Korea. The drug has already been marketed by an University-Industry agreement under the brand name “VIROHEP” by Rallis India Pharmaceuticals/ Shreya Life Sciences, Mumbai.
- He conducted International collaborative projects with scientists from 26 countries including USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan etc., with mutual visits to these countries.
- His research contributions have been recognized with 42 International and National awards.
The awards of Excellence includes
- The Consultant Epidemiologist award of Glasgow University, UK;
- ICMR award in Virology and Kamal Kumari National award in Science and Technology.
- Dr. S.C. Agarwal Prize, IAMM Endowment Award and Dr. H.I. Jhala Award of Indian Association of Medical Microbiologists;
- Dr.PranNathChhuttani Oration Award of the National academy of Medical sciences,2006
- The Italian Chavelier-Order of Merit of Italian Republic Award, 2007.
- Dr.APJ.AbdulKalam Award for Science & Technology by Government of Tamilnadu,2018
Dr. S.P.Thyagarajan has served in several administrative positions in Madras University as :
- Director, Dr. A.L. Mudaliar Post-Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Taramani; Dean [Industrial Consultancy]; Registrar in-charge and as Special Officer [Development Programmes]. As Coordinator, he facilitated the FIVE STAR level accreditation to the University of Madras by NAAC in 1999 and secured the award of “University with Potential for Excellence” status with a grant of Rs.30 crores by UGC in the year, 2001.
- The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Madras between 2003-2006, he sphere headed the 150th year celebrations of the University by securing a special grant of Rs.125 crores from Govt.of India. The celebration was honored by His Excellency, President of India, Dr.APJ.AbdulKalam along with His Excellency Governor of Tamilnadu, Honourable Chief Minister of Tamilnadu, Union Ministers of MHRD, Finance, Communication &I.T. State Govt.Ministers of RDLA, Higher Education besides other VVIPS of UGC, Union& state planning commissions.
Prof. S. P. Thyagarajan subsequently has taken over the position at Sri Ramachandra University as Pro-Chancellor (Research)
- He co-ordinated International and National level research projects funded by WHO, DST, DBT,CSIR and other funding agencies.
- He set up the Central Research Facility as a unit to cater for basic medical research leading to Translational medical research in the University under one umbrella with an University-Industry Interaction centre to facilitate R&D projects and clinical trials for biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
- Presently, he serves as Professor of Eminence & Dean (Research) of Sri Ramachandra University.