Music is the most natural of all arts .The mind is musical by nature. Music is a language by itself and is capable of expressing subtle thoughts and refined ideas. Music develops the intelligence imagination and the creative faculties. Music develops the powers of balanced thinking.
Music is both an art (kala) and a science (sastra). Its study and practice Result in the development of the intelligence and the soul. In addition it is a vidya and helps one to realize the supreme within him.
Music is a fine art, which develop culture, character and personality of the students. The vision of the Department of Music is to create a strong educational environment that combines the academic rigors of discipline with the artistic standards of performance. The study of music is essential to being generally well educated and the students develop a foundation for teaching, performing and other career-oriented skills through the courses offered at the Department. The students will be involved and exposed to the creative process of Music, develop an understanding of music, impart knowledge of music, composers, skill training in Veena and other instruments and increase musical skills by means of the courses offered. The Department seek to foster a society that values music both as part of a universal education, and as an essential expression of the human experience and spirit.
- to develop awareness of music and its connection with our culture.
- to support the students in developing their musical skills and knowledge in the context of arts education by conducting series of Workshops and Live stage programmes
- to stimulate the highest standards of research, innovation, and leadership in music composition, teaching, performance, technology, education, and advocacy
- to support the students in developing their musical skills and knowledge in the context of arts education by commencing new courses in Fine Arts viz; Instruments ( violin, veena) ,dance and visual Arts.
- to offer a high-quality arts education that engages students as they pursue their personal, academic, and professional goals and empower students to create their own music through composition, arranging, and improvisation.
- to support the students in developing their musical skills and knowledge in the context of arts education by commencing full-fledged courses under various branches of Fine Arts and thereby to convert the Department into a School of Fine Arts.
- to provide leadership in the fields of musicology, performance, practice, and music education, and to mould next generation of leaders in these fields.
- to develop in the student an understanding and appreciation of the various types, styles, and forms of music
- to equip the students to become proactive scholar-practitioners in music education ;,and promote the academic education of students.
Genesis of the Department
- 1957 -Introduction of Bachelor’s Degree in Music
- 2004 - Introduction of Master’s Degree in Music
- 2011- Introduction of Research Programme
The objectives of the department are:
- Inculcating the knowledge of music among the students.
- Attain thorough knowledge in Music and become entrepreneur and performing artist
- Providing skill training to use veena and other instruments.
- Exposing the students to perform individually with confidence.
- Equip knowledge about the prominent musicians, composers and their contributions towards
- Carnatic Music
Thrust Area of Research
- Indian Culture and Music
- Music Literature
- Raga and Rasa
- Music Therapy
- Time Theory of Ragas
- Music Notation Teaching
- Music and Mathematics
- Musical Ethics
- Applied Music
- Laya Aspects
- Musical Aesthetics
- B.A. Music
- M.A. Music
- Ph.D Music
- B.A. : Any group
- M.A : B.A Music/any degree with a recognised two years diploma in Music
- Ph.D. : M.A/M.Phil. in Music
The Department is having Music Lab with Instuments such as Veena , Violin and Keyboard.The Department is also having ICT enabled class rooms with LCD projector for facilitating teaching- learning process.